Jazz industrial complex

Oddly enough, the situation is quite similar in the video game industry regarding game design (at least in France.) Loads of game design and game development schools have opened over the years, and while it made sense a decade ago, the market is now flooded with an expertise that is not needed as much as it was back then, so naturally many students end up becoming freelance and teachers in their previous schools (and others.)

wow that’s a surprise to me, i don’t know much about gaming but i had always imagined that demand was continuously expanding to fit the amount of people with those skills.

my impression is that the range of expression in indie games is not as affected by this saturation of talent as the jazz music scene. i feel like more people going through music school encourages more homogeny, whereas in games it might encourage more diverse creativity. do you have a perspective on that?

Well, it’s a rather complex topic :slight_smile: I’d say the video game medium is still very young compared to the history of jazz (I should mention I don’t know much about jazz) so it’s certainly harder to see homogeneity in the video game industry.

But the “indie” label has become increasingly less meaningful over the years. Most popular and supposedly indie games are backed by major studios one way or another, and most successful students formed in video game schools end up in big studios that make AAA games with little creative endeavors. Even when economically independent, you have to bend to the all-mighty distributions platforms such as Steam, and to hardware manufacturers like Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo. There’s also the matter of diversity: like tech in general, video games are still very much white male dominated, so the mainstream video game culture isn’t as varied and open as it may seem.

But jazz is a music genre, and there are many different game genres, so what I’m describing is a bit of a shortcut, the comparison probably needs more nuance.

1 Like